Thursday, February 10, 2011

Little Distractions

Well, it's finally over!  Football season, that is.  Sunday marked that last game for about 6 months.  I don't mind watching football so much, but I guess I wasn't born with the "fan gene."  You know, I enjoy the athleticism and dedication and discipline it takes to be a gladiator on the field, but I don't really care who wins.  Well, I want to win whoever Ricky wants to win - you know - it makes everything happier in my house!

I don't mind the games on t.v. but beginning around late August, the humming of a crowded arena is all I hear in my house all day long on a Saturday game day.  It's a tad distracting.  Kinda like little bees humming in my head, and I find that I can't really concentrate on anything else.  I just don't like that noise!

Made me think about the devil and his distractions.  How his whisperings in my ear keep me from staying on purpose.  Nothing major, but I keep hearing about my defeats over and over and how it's pointless to try to break old habits and eat healthier.  Whisperings.  My weight was up a pound.  I worked so hard this week.  I don't know what I can change.  What's the point.  Whisperings.  Nothing I do works.  Might as well eat a bag of Poppycock and quiet the whisperings for a while.  At least until tomorrow morning when I get back on the scale.  Why do I stay in the vicious cycle?  Because it keeps me distracted.

Two passages that just stopped me in my tracks this week.

Ephesians 1:17-19
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.  I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.

Ephesians 1:4-5
Long ago, even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.  His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ.  And this gave him great pleasure.

I was made for more than this!  I was made for more than being distracted by my failures, my obsessions, my compulsions and the constant inner conflict!

Lord, I want my life to bring you pleasure!  I pray that your wisdom, revelation and intervening power be an integral part of my health choices each day.  Lord, I know that I was made for more than this!  I pray for your indwelling power to walk away from things that are not beneficial to me.

No comments: